Friday, October 29, 2010

An athlete cannot run with money in his pockets. He must run with hope in his heart and dreams in his head. ~Emil Zatopek

 Sports. How did they become such an integral part of our lives? Here we are after the second game of the 106th World Series. Way to go Giants! I just happen to be in Texas for the first two games, and while I will not be pulling for the Rangers when the day ends, I’m an NL girl through and through, I am still excited to be surrounded by fans who have never had an appearance in the World Series. I absolutely love how sports bring people together just like this huge event. I’ll be sure to keep my cheers to myself until I’m safely back in the neutral zone of good ole SC!

Sports have always been a huge part of my life, so I thought I’d share with you my journey around the athletic arena because I am who I am right now thanks to the exposure to sports that I got at a young age.

Glory Days
As early as age 3, my mom said that she threw me into the pool, and I began my 15 year swimming streak. My older brothers swam for the Carpet Capital Aquatics Club, Makos, so I was always cheering for them as they swam those 25 yrs. sometimes 50 whole yards. Yes, as a three year old, I admired my brothers and wanted to be just like them I’m still admiring them today, just not for the sports they play. Which brings me to my next and possibly most beneficial move, my parents enrolled me in ballet well “creative movement” class at age 4. I will always be thankful for that because it began my 15 years as a ballerina. I thoroughly loved it minus years 12-13, when I really wasn’t a fan, and it helped me to develop my poise and grace go ahead and laugh, yes, I know I’m not always the most graceful person, but imagine what it might be had I not had such an extensive training in ballet!. 13 years in the Nutcracker? Nuff said.

I'd say 3rd Grade

 Somewhere in there I had an extensive softball stint which ended after my sophomore year of high school when the other girls were playing year round and being competitive. I never said I wanted to be competitive. I just wanted to have fun, but apparently that mantra can’t get ya through your high school career. I would like to say though that when I ended my career on the diamond, I was starting…in right field, but still it was a start. Pretty much a pro by age 15, but not competitive enough to continue, sorry ‘bout it.

Another extensive rather not career that I had was one in soccer. I believe it was second grade that I was in my second year of said career, and they put me in the goal. Now, would you put me in the goal? No. I would obviously get bored. Yes, I have a lot of energy that’s how you say that. Well, since I wasn’t getting to play, basically, I decided to pick daisies on the side on the field and stuff them in the pocket of my hoodie. Needless to say, I didn’t last long.

Gold and the awkard stage
Now junior high and high school were my years to shine! I was on the junior high golf team in 7th grade, so yes, I do know the game well. Now, do I play well? That’s just another story in itself, but at least I know what par and boggie mean. As you can imagine, that sport was just too slow for me, so the next year I moved to tennis, much more my speed. That lasted until my junior year of high school.

Abby, Me, Katie before my 1st 1/2
Here we are, I’m 22 years old, and what am I doing? Running. I absolutely love running. It’s not such the spectator sport, but my family is still supporting me in my athletic endeavors. I ran my first half marathon in March, and my parents were there at the finish line to cheer me on. I’m gearing up to start training for my next race, the Disney Princess Half Marathon with my consultant sister, Megan! I couldn’t be more excited!
Rockin the knee socks in Middle School
While I do miss the team sports because of the camaraderie I guess I can’t really take a team on the road with me either, I am loving life on the run hee hee, get it?. Being apart of a team, helped me to learn to socialize and to support others for a common good. My parents helped me to figure out what interested me by exposing me to all sorts of sports, and for that, I am very thankful. Now was I ever an all-star at any of them? Probably not, but I know how to play and hold my own, and most importantly, I had fun, and really is there anything else to it? For me, no.

I apologize for the length and the lack of a swimming, soccer, and tennis picture. You'll have to ask the mother for those. Thanks momsky for providing the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment