Saturday, July 31, 2010

Living by Faith

When I decided to join ADPi my freshman year, I told my parents, and they were, let’s say, a little skeptical. I think they, like others, had only heard what the media had to say about Greek life, not too stellar unfortunately. What kind of news channel wants to air a story about wonderful student leadership, proper Risk Management, Conversational skills, Philanthropy success, or developing effective marketing strategies? None that I know of. Of course Greek life has received a bad rep for a reason, but please, don’t make generalizations based on specific occurances (peep peeve #1)? Needless to say, I had to convince my parents that joining ADPi would benefit me as a young woman. Well, luckily it didn’t take too long. I had them at the wonderful women that cared for me and guided me through my freshman year. Then I was given the opportunity to be a Financial Vice President, and what parent wouldn’t love for their daughter to learn how to manage her finances. They were able to participate in family events with the chapter and, mom’s favorite, Mother Daughter Tea. They also reunited with my sisters’ parents with whom they went to school. Maybe they still don’t understand the relationships I have made with the women from my chapter (minus the fact that at any chance I get, I drive near and far to see my best friends), but they can see that joining a Greek organization has changed my life for the better.


Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.


-Martin Luther King, Jr.

 
When I got the call offering me this job, I accepted without a moment’s hesitation. Thinking back to that exchange, I wonder what made me do that. Not really what one, who generally is quite practical, would do. I knew little of what the job actually entailed. Why did I do it? I did it because Alpha Delta Pi gave me so much during college that I would never have had if I had not been apart of this organization. Like MLK Jr. said, sometimes you just have to know and believe something with your heart in order to live. Yes, my Faith drives most of the decisions in my life. I may not have a reason for what I do, but I have faith. Hebrews 11:1 says, “Now faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.” If I had reasoned out every bit of the opportunity I had been given, I might not have accepted, but then I would not have met 6 amazing women in addition to all of the other women who, like me, are so passionate about an organization that they too give so much of their time.



Even though these past 10 days have been packed full with training, learning new skills, and possible “this COULD happen” s, I know that I have been given an opportunity of a lifetime. I still wake up sometimes thinking that I am living in a dream. It’s not just A dream that I am living. It’s MY dream, and for that, I am very thankful.
.
The LCs at Wesleyan College (Alpha Chapter)

2 comments: