Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The countdown has begun!

Greetings from the Carpet Capital! Here it is! The much awaited blog. I have been thinking long and hard about creating this, but I have decided that I want to officially document my travels! If you are curious about the title, I shall explain. In ADPi, it is a tradition to give a sister "violets" when she has made an accomplishment or has had something wonderful happen. The Woodland Violet is also the official flower of our sorority, fancy that. Anywhoo, I have decided that during my time traveling, I want to help chapters and their members see the great things that they are doing, hence the title "Spreading Violets Across the Country".
Yesterday was the two week mark. That's right! Two weeks until I become a professional sorority girl! For those of you who may not have heard, I am going to be one of seven Leadership Consultants for Alpha Delta Pi for the 2010-2011 school year. After training for three weeks at Executive Office in Atlanta, I will head off to an unknown destination (yes, I will know before I leave Atlanta what that destination will be). We have chapters all over the country and two in Canada, so all are open to me except the chapters in my District (the one in which I went to school), District 2. I will take a moment to explain these "districts" to you because I will often refer to them. Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi from here on out) has broken the country (and Canada) into 6 Districts which are further broken down into Provinces. We're so organized, one reason why I love this!
Ok, so what exactly does this job entail? Well, I will be making visits to chapters to 1) help with Recruitment (Rush for those of you familiar with the old school term) 2) Check-in on chapters, see how they're doing 3) boost moral (aka.  be a CHEERLEADER! whoo HOoo). At least, this is what I have understood so far. I could be wrong, but it's probably very close to accurate.
How about the other six women (plus 2 SENIOR LCs) that I will be working with? Good news! I love them all already! We all met a week and a half ago at the Leadership Seminar for Collegians in Atlanta, and we immediately bonded! Even though we were together only 5 days, I can tell we have a great group, and we're going to be life long friends (sappy? It's what I do).
2010-2011 Leadership Consultants
From left: Jenni, Emily, Lori, Ashlyn, ME, Megan, and Regan

Also at the Conference, we got to know the outgoing LCs. They are filled with a wealth of knowledge of the LC ins and outs, and they were so sweet to share a little bit of their experiences with us. I know we'll be able to count on those girls when we get into a rut! The outgoing LCs paired with the incoming LCs, and I now have a Big Violet Sister, Laura! She has promised to help me through this year and give me encouragement when I need it. Awesome!
Now, I must spend the next 13 days figuring out how to fit my life into 2 suitcases and a carry-on. Any suggestions will be gladly welcomed!

4 comments:

  1. You're adorable! I can't wait to hear all about your experiences!

    Also, suggestion: space bags?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be following!!!!!! <3 you my little probation child!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title! And I have confidence in your packing abilities, a year can't be THAT much harder than a semester abroad...just recycle your clothes!

    ReplyDelete